5 Selling Tips to Get the Most From Your Lake Tahoe Vacation Home
You may think that your vacation home will sell itself. It's Lake Tahoe, after all! But in an ever-changing post-COVID real estate market, even Tahoe-Truckee homeowners might need some fresh selling strategies. As local real estate professionals, we're sharing these five tips for property owners with Lake Tahoe homes for sale.
1. Think About Why You Bought Your Home
Try to remember the reason you purchased your Lake Tahoe home. Then focus on these benefits when listing and describing your property to homebuyers.
It shouldn't be a hard sell. Lake Tahoe is one of the world's most beautiful natural wonders, with its crystal-clear waters enveloped by stunning alpine landscapes. Gorgeous lakeside homes of all shapes and sizes, meanwhile, populate the Tahoe-Truckee area.
Try to recall the time you fell in love with this picturesque patch of the country. How did you feel? What words describe those feelings? Then think about what makes your home special — different from all the others on or around the lake.
You don't have to be an author to write a killer property listing. (That's what a professional local real estate agent like Christy Morrison does!) But making your listing personal to you — and conveying those emotions to homebuyers during viewings — could create an emotional connection with a potential homebuyer. And that might mean a quicker sale.
2. Disclose the Property's Rental History
Tell your agent if you rented your Lake Tahoe vacation property in the past. We can share these details with prospective homebuyers looking for lucrative investment opportunities. Homebuyers want to know information such as rental income, the name of the property manager you used (if any), and whether you used the property for long-term or short-term rents. Sharing these details could make it easier to sell your home.
3. Prepare Your Home for Showings
Selling a vacation home is a little different from selling a 'regular' property. That's because most home buyers won't live in the local area and probably can't visit your home multiple times. So you need to make sure your home is ready for viewings. You might only have one chance to impress someone!
Here are some quick tips for more successful home viewings:
- Give your home a deep clean. Call in a professional if you can't do it yourself.
- Remove clutter from your property. Doing so makes rooms look bigger and creates more streamlined interior spaces.
- Redecorate elements of your home or coat walls with a fresh layer of paint.
- Open curtains and blinds to allow natural light to fill your property.
- Prepare snacks for guests.
4. Carry Out Any Repairs
You should bring your home to market in an excellent state of repair. Otherwise, you might struggle to sell your property. If you have already listed your home, you can still carry out any repairs that increase selling opportunities.
Some of the most common home improvements for people with Lake Tahoe homes for sale are roof repairs, water damage repair, pipe installation, and air conditioning installation. Although these improvements require an outlay, they could increase the value of your property or reduce the time to sell your home.
5. Don't Forget About Your Next Move
Local property owners often place so much effort on selling their homes, they forget their future move. If you're looking for another home in the Tahoe-Truckee area, consult with a professional real estate agent about the latest properties for sale. You will want to move into a property that matches your budget, lifestyle, and personality after you have sold your Lake Tahoe vacation home.
Here are some quick tips for buying your next home in the Tahoe-Truckee area:
- Manage your finances and decide what you can afford based on your budget. Lake Tahoe homes come with a broad range of price tags, so there's something for almost everyone.
- Decide whether you want another vacation home or prefer to move to the area for good.
- Think about where you want to live. What are your favorite areas in the Lake Tahoe region? Pope Beach? Baldwin Beach? Further north?
In an unpredictable property market, people with Lake Tahoe homes for sale might struggle to generate as much interest as before the pandemic. That's why it's critical to consider the five tips above and work with a reputable local real estate agent who specializes in vacation home property sales.